Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I love trees! Towering oaks, with limbs that beckon for swings or tree houses…..lovely myrtles, alive with blossoms all summer long….maples, that so beautifully shade us in the summer heat, then thrill us with autumn hues of red and gold. Maybe it’s because I grew up in the desert southwest that I am so fascinated by trees. In West Texas, we joked that if anyone found a tree, he would put a fence around it and call it a park!
Recently, we had the pleasure of renewing relationships with members of our family, cousins Eve and Larry, that we had not seen in years. Sitting in the backyard of their lovely home near Orlando, Florida, I couldn’t help but notice an unusual tree. It stood tall and shapely, looking similar to a fir, but unlike any I had ever seen, so I asked what it was. Larry explained that it was a Norfolk Pine. He said there was one just like it on their porch in a pot. In fact, the two trees were purchased at the same time and looked identical when they were purchased. I went inside the porch to see the other tree. I was astounded! I could hardly believe this small potted plant was the same kind of tree that so beautifully graced their backyard!
I couldn’t quit thinking about those trees. One was simply a potted house plant, the other was a full-grown tree, haven for birds and delight to the eyes. I am in a transition period in my own life, retiring from a wonderful teaching career, and, as I thought about those trees, an analogy kept coming to my mind…..how many times have I been like that potted plant… safe in my comfort zone, sheltered from the heat of the day, safe, but not growing. I admire people with courage, who seem fearless, because I am a big chicken. But I know that the most rewarding times of my life have always been when I took a risk, ventured out of my comfort zone, and trusted God inspite of my fears. “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding: In all your ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct your paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6). I have come to understand that “Acknowledging Him” includes the greater meaning of seeking Him and submitting to His will as He reveals it in any situation. “Acknowledging Him” means it’s not all about me….
The parable of the talents in Matthew 25 teaches a similar lesson. A man getting ready to travel to a far country called his servants together. He gave them talents, five, two or one, according to their individual ability, and charged them with the responsibility to care for his treasure until he returned. The servants with five and two talents invested them and doubled the value. The servant with one talent dug in the ground and buried it to keep it “safe” until his master returned. The response of the master upon his return was profound. He called the servant who had buried his talent “unprofitable.” Now, there’s a scary thought….we can be servants, but still be unprofitable for God’s kingdom work!
Now, facing a major transitional time in my life, the easiest thing for me to do would be to become like the potted plant. The thought scares me. I don't want to be an "unprofitable servant." But I know that means stepping out of my comfort zone, and trusting God. "Blessed is the man (or woman) who trusts in the Lord, and whose hope is the Lord, for he shall be like a tree planted by the waters which spreads out its roots by the river, and will not fear when heat comes....nor will cease from yielding fruit" (Jeremiah 17:7-8). I want to be a river oak "rooted and grounded in love," (Ephesians 3:17) thriving in the light of the Son! but, a Norfolk Pine would be nice, too...

No comments:

Post a Comment