Thursday, May 13, 2010

“The opposite of poverty is not wealth, it is justice.”
In early May, I had the incredibly joyful experience of seeing my nephew, Scott, graduate from law school at UNC Chapel Hill. Family gathered from Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia to celebrate this grand occasion. Time with family, especially with those we don’t see often, always feels like a gift specially wrapped in hugs and laughter. We had a great time just being together, and sharing the pride that now we have a lawyer in the family! I’m not sure why, but I love graduations….I cannot listen to Pomp and Circumstance without getting a lump in my throat. Perhaps it’s the realization that a page of life is turning…a feeling that something extraordinary is about to happen….
I didn’t recognize the name of the commencement speaker, Bryan A. Stevenson. He was introduced as the founder and Executive Director of the Equal Justice Initiative. That sounded good, but I didn’t have a clue what it was. His introduction included a list of awards, such as the Thurgood Marshall Medal of Justice, which sounded impressive, but, again, I didn’t have a clue. But as Mr. Stevenson began to speak, his passion for justice and for people, especially the downtrodden, destitute and hopeless, began to move his audience. This man spoke from his heart and from his experience. He made us laugh, he made us think and he touched our hearts. As an advocate for some on death row, for teenagers, only 13 and 14 years of age, who are being tried as adults, and for many who are destitute and without hope, Mr. Stevenson’s life quest is to fight for just treatment under the law. Many of those he represents are poor and suffer racial and social discrimination. He admonished these young, idealistic graduates to go back and reread the essays they wrote when they were applying for law school, and he encouraged them not to lose their vision. If they stand up for what is right, even when it is not popular….if they speak out against injustice for those who have no voice…if they strive for fairness always, they will help create genuine change in our society, for “the opposite of poverty is not wealth, it is justice.”
Mr. Stevenson received a standing ovation, and I found myself fighting back tears. I was truly moved by his message because I was reminded that I worship a God who is passionate about justice and wants us to be as well. He commands in Leviticus, “you shall do no injustice in judgment. You shall not be partial to the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty. But in righteousness you shall judge your neighbor.” (Lev. 19:15). “Defend the poor and fatherless; do justice to the afflicted and needy….” (Psalm 82:3) “He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the just, both of them are an abomination to the Lord.” (Prov. 17:15) “Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.” (John 7:15).

I think how many times during any given day I make judgments about others that are not righteous, even subconsciously. It’s so easy to make judgments, I should say mis- judgments, based on appearance. Yet it is astounding and humbling to realize we have a Savior who endured more injustice, more misjudgment, than any other living being possibly could. He “poured out His soul unto death….and bore the sin of many” (Is. 53:12). God declares, “My righteous Servant shall justify many….” (Is. 53:11). God is always just. His justice demanded the greatest price it was possible to pay. He sent His son to become our Savior. He is coming again to be our King, “He will not fail nor be discouraged till He has established justice in the earth…” (Isaiah 42:4). Something extraordinary is about to happen….

1 comment:

  1. Great post mom! Wish I could have been at the graduation with you all. I love your thoughts. I'm not sure I agree with Mr. Stevenson's quote though, "The opposite of poverty is not wealth, it is justice." I think it sounds good, and it makes me think, but I'm not sure about its validity.

    The thing that bothers me about it is I think it confuses justice with mercy. Before I explain, a few observations:

    1) I think God intends for mercy and justice to be used in tandem. Either one used without the influence of the other is dangerous.

    2) I think we do not understand what *true* justice is, nor what *true* justice would mean for us.

    3) I think people believe incorrectly they are good and as such believe they deserve good things.

    Let me explain...

    I won't go into the first observation, other than to point out Micah 6:8:

    Micah 6:8
    He has showed you, O man, what is good.
    And what does the LORD require of you?
    To act justly and to love mercy
    and to walk humbly with your God.

    Regarding the other two, I think if we were wise we would hope for and desire mercy and expect *true* justice. In reality, I think we expect false justice--we inaccurately believe justice is receiving whatever we want when we want it. When we ask God for justice I think His response is something like "be careful--you don't know what you're asking for." If true justice struck the earth today I'd be surprised if there'd be anyone left alive on it tomorrow (apart from God's grace). None of us are good, and as such none of us deserve anything other than poverty. If I start with the belief I deserve wealth, than anything less appears unjust. However, if I start with the belief that I deserve poverty, than anything more is pure grace. I think the latter more accurately reflects reality. I don't deserve wealth and I have to catch myself every time I begin thinking I do. That's a slippery slope. I deserve poverty.

    That's why Jesus said in Matthew 19:17, "There is only One who is good." And Psalm 14:2-3 says: "The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. All have turned aside, they have together become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one."

    So I guess if I had to re-word the quote I would say "The opposite of poverty is not wealth, it is mercy."

    ReplyDelete