Sunday, March 1, 2009

A few months ago, I injured the nerves in my right hand. I could not straighten my fingers and even simple tasks, such as holding a pen, using a nail clipper, buttoning my shirt or unsnapping a seatbelt, became really challenging. Suddenly, I had a new appreciation for something I had simply taken for granted...the use of my hands. What a marvel of creation is the human hand! I have had the overwhelming experience of holding my own newborn child, and, most recently, my grandchild, in my arms, and feeling the amazing grasp of a tiny hand around my finger. That tiny hand holds such potential! I am reminded that God created us in His image, form and shape...and I think about His hands. God tells us "My own hand laid the foundations of the earth, my right hand spread out the heavens" (Is. 48:13). With His hands, He holds us up (Is. 41:9). With His hands, He heals us (Luke 4:40). With His hands, He blesses us (Matt.19:15). He opens His hands, and satisfies the desire of every living thing (Ps 104:28). I believe He knelt on the ground and fashioned man with his own hands. So many times I have prayed that He would hold my hand and help me not to be afraid, according to His promise (Is. 41:13). His hands reveal His love....He has engraved our names on the palm of His hand (Is. 49:15-16)....but, more than that, His hands still bear the scars of nails...(John 20:27) My hand is almost fully recovered, but I'm grateful to have been reminded of God's hands, touching my life in countless ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment