Friday, November 15, 2013

Missing a dog...

I am missing a dog….missing a cold nose that nuzzled my arm when I was engaged on the computer or holding a book I was attempting to read…..missing that unique “aarrgghh” that expressed a myriad of wants or needs, but mostly just the desire for attention, and, sometimes, woke us up way too early in the morning. I am missing a dog….those big brown eyes looking over the window ledge to confirm I was arriving home….and that wagging tail drumming delight at the anticipation of a walk or the chance to play fetch with just about anything. I am missing a dog….who could not greet me at the door without presenting a gift….usually one of my shoes. I even miss the many walks required at inconvenient times, often in the cold and rain…. walks that provided opportunity to get to know my neighbors as never before. I am missing a dog….whose sweet spirit drew complete strangers, and countless children, to ask if they could come and pet her whenever we visited a park. I am so grateful to our daughter and grandchildren who allowed us to be Toby’s “foster parents” while they lived in Australia for a year. Having her helped us feel connected to them while they were so far away. Our hearts were warmed to hear the delighted squeals of our grandchildren as they arrived home and were reunited with their beloved dog. That, after all, had been our goal in keeping Toby for the year until their return. I am so happy to know we will see her often, happily back home with her loving family, but it won’t quite be the same…..it’s quieter here now, and I don’t have to vacuum as often, we can even sleep in on weekends…but I can’t help missing a dog….

No comments:

Post a Comment