Sunday, June 3, 2012

With all the exuberance and energy of a fifteen-month old, our grandson, Lee, headed to the ocean as quickly as his little legs would take him. For some of our grandchildren, the first encounter with the foaming surf has been frightening. We would carry them to the edge of the breaking tides and hold them up so they could feel the sand and the water converge on their reluctant toes. It could take several attempts before they would not react fearfully, clamoring up into our arms. But not Lee! He was drawn to the ocean like a baby turtle, determined to make his way to those waves. I walked (jogged) beside him, holding his tiny hand when he would let me and trying to keep him in my shadow as the sun became more intense. Keeping him in my shadow was a constant challenge. It meant keeping him close to me, at my side, while he was blissfully unaware of my efforts to protect him. It occurred to me how often we are unaware, and unappreciative, of God’s protective presence. David understood, when he prayed “hide me under the shadow of your wings…” (Psalm 17:8), “the children of men put their trust under the shadow of your wings..(Psalm 36:7), “In the shadow of your wings I will make my refuge…” (Psalm 57:1), “In the shadow of your wings I will rejoice” (Psalm 63:7) (NKJ). With childlike dependence, David said “my soul follows close behind you, Your right hand upholds me” (Psalm 63:8). He knew that to be in God’s shadow, he had to stay as close to Him as he could. But sometimes, God moves to keep us close even when we are unaware or unable. I John 2:1 refers to Jesus Christ as our Advocate. The Greek word for “advocate” is “paraklesis” and refers to “coming to one’s side.” I know our grandchildren cannot possibly understand how much we love them and want to protect them. We pray as they grow older, and the waves of life become less gentle, that they each will hold tightly to the hand of their God and rejoice in His protective shadow.

2 comments:

  1. This will be a wonderful post for Lee to read when he can understand it. Great word picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Made me cry! and I repeat what Robby wrote.

    ReplyDelete