Friday, January 8, 2010

Bubble Forth!

The holidays are behind us now. Most of the decorative lights that brightened our neighborhood have been turned off and taken down. All of the celebrations, in church, in the work place, at home, are now only memories. Temperatures have plummeted, and without the cheerful lights of the holiday season, the harsh reality of winter has settled in. I can remember sitting on a swing on a Christmas afternoon in West Texas when I was about ten years old thinking to myself, “is this all there is?” All the gifts had been opened. The anticipation was gone. What was there to look forward to? What was there to celebrate? I had received most of the toys I had wanted, but still felt empty. I didn’t understand it then, but God was already giving me a desire to seek Him.
I love celebrations. My dearest friends and I share a motto, “life is a special occasion!” We look for any little thing to celebrate….a snow day, a birthday, a trip to the beach, a sunrise, a sunset, finding a good parking place! But the underlying joy in all we celebrate is our awesome God. Alan D. Wright in his book , God Moments, states that “real joy is not the product of better circumstances or even more victories: it is the product of a heart that has chosen to celebrate God.” With Him, the anticipation never ends….” Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, Nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.” (I. Cor. 2:9). Psalm 145 is described as a song of God’s majesty and love. “Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; His greatness is beyond our understanding. One generation shall praise your works to another, and shall declare your mighty acts. I will meditate on the glorious splendor of your majesty, and on your wondrous works. Men shall speak of the might of your awesome acts, and I will declare your greatness. They shall utter (eagerly utter, bubble forth) the memory of your great goodness, and shall sing of your righteousness.” (v. 4-7).
A couple of weeks ago, we had the opportunity to have our seven year old grandson, Owen, stay with us for a couple of days. Proverbs 17:6 says “Children’s children are the crown of the aged.” We are blessed to have several such “crowns” (six in all), and they are such a joy I don’t even mind being regarded as “aged!” To say we enjoyed Owen would be an understatement. I loved watching “Papa” help him put together a wooden airplane and show him the wonder of a blood cell through the lens of a microscope. We explored exhibits at the local science center and shared the awe of the planetarium. I loved watching them pelt each other with snowballs while dodging a few myself. Owen’s playfulness was contagious, and definitely brought out the kid in Papa and me. Although he can sit through a movie (preferably about dinosaurs), when it is over, he is up and out….look for him in the nearest mud puddle or snow bank, or listen for rubber dinosaurs battling in a clash for survival. Owen is a living expression of joy and he delights us. His exuberance reminded me of a carbonated beverage opened for the first time….it just bubbled over!
We were blessed to have many of our family together on New Year’s Eve, all
gathered around the TV to watch the ball drop in New York City. I carefully opened a bottle of champagne. The cork popped and the happy beverage began to bubble forth. I thought about Psalm 145. The joy God gives really cannot be contained. “Rejoice in the Lord always..again I will say, rejoice!” (Phil. 4:4). Knowing God and His purpose for our lives is the real source of joy. Like exuberant children, may we “bubble forth” in celebration of His great goodness… Life is a special occasion!

1 comment:

  1. Zenda...awesome entry! You hit that outta the park...and needless to say the video was perfect also. Its a blessing having you in my life.

    ReplyDelete