Saturday, May 2, 2009

“Don’t remind me!” is often the response we get when we wish someone a “happy birthday.” When we were young, we couldn’t wait to grown up. But as we cross that line considered “middle age” it’s as if every birthday reminds us of our mortality. It’s hard to see the vitality of youth giving way to aches and pains in places we didn’t even know we had places. Phyllis Diller once wrote that her body was falling so fast her gynecologist had to wear a hard hat! One good thing about growing older is the deeper realization that life is a gift, and it is a gift that bestows a great responsibility and wondrous opportunity. Around the first of the year I asked one of my dearest friends if she had a new year’s resolution. I was expecting an answer that revolved around a physical goal, like weight loss or “getting in shape.” Instead, with a look of resolve in her eyes, she responded, “To seek first the kingdom of God.” She added that although some physical goals were still important, they were no longer a priority in her life. I have thought often about what she said, and I have prayed that this would be my daily resolution as well. In praying about it, I have tried to understand the depth of what it means to “seek first the kingdom…”My friend was quoting from Matthew 6:33, where Christ tells his disciples to “seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things (material provision) will be given to you as well.” I am astounded by how many times Christ refers to His kingdom. Matthew 4:23 says “Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom….” His parables often centered on the kingdom. He said “this is what the kingdom of God is like…” as He began two parables, one about the growing seed and another about the mustard seed. Even the prophecies about Christ in the Old Testament focus on government….”for to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders….of the increase of His government and peace there will be no end” (Isaiah 9:6-7) Yet, His government is not here yet. Matthew 4, verse 8 states that Satan took Christ “to a very high mountain and showed Him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor. All this I will give you, he said, if you will bow down and worship me.” Christ conquered the kingdom of darkness on the cross, but He has not yet deposed it’s ruler on this earth. “A day of the Lord is coming…the Lord will go out and fight against those nations, as He fights in the day of battle. On that day His feet will stand on the Mount of Olives, east of Jerusalem, and the Mount of Olives will be split in two from east to west….the Lord will be king over the whole earth…” (Zechariah 14:1-9). Referring to that same period of time, Isaiah prophesies “They will not harm nor destroy on all my holy mountain, for the earth will be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea” (Is. 11:9). No wonder Christ taught his disciples to pray “your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven” (Matthew 6:10). So we are “Christ’s ambassadors” (2 Cor. 5:20) representing His coming kingdom. We are called to be “the salt of the earth…the light of the world,” caring about the things He cares about, being about “our Father’s business”(Luke 2:49, King James version).
And so, to my dear friend, and all of my friends and family in the faith, “I thank my God every time I remember you…in all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel ….being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus”…the day of His return, when we will reign with Him as kings and priests (Rev. 1:6). May we all seek that kingdom above all else.

No comments:

Post a Comment